Tahoe’s $75 Million Tranquility Estate

Since learning that one of the highest priced homes in America is only four miles from my home, I’ve been fascinated by the Lake Tahoe estate called Tranquility. It is owned by co-founder of Tommy Hilfiger, Joel Horowitz, and is listed at $75,000,000.

You can learn some basic information on Tranquility at www.tranquilitylaketahoe.com. I’ll also include some property detail at the bottom of this message. However, I want to focus this write-up on a few things I find pretty fascinating about the property.

[ad#ad-1]

First, even Realtors cannot step foot onto the property without a buyer who can provide verification of funds (i.e. a bank statment showing $75,000,000). The driveway can be seen from Highway 50, but you won’t get past the private guardhouse, which is just off the road. The only time Tranquility was open to the public was 2007 when the Horowitz’s generously opened their home for an Angora Fire benefit. 250 tickets to see the home’s interior were sold at $500 a piece. $250 tickets were sold to those attending the benefit on the property grounds without the tour of the home.

The closest encounter with Tranquility that is currently available is through a satellite image from Google Earth.

Tranquility Satellite

I’ll share a few additional interesting facts about the property. The conservatory, which features a 100-foot pool, has a roof that retracts when the room reaches a certain temperature. It also has an underground tunnel that provides access to and from the main residence. Underground tunnels have a lot of utility during Tahoe February’s when the snow pack is six-feet deep.

For the sports junkie, the gymnasium features a basketball court with regulation NBA backboards and scoreboards. Outside, there are two par 3 golf holes and horse stables. There is also a room with a golf simulator in the home.

Finally, do notice any similarity between these two pictures?

Tranquility Staircase Titanic Staircase

Tranquility’s staircase is actually a replica from the S.S. Titanic. …I’ll have to plan that for my next remodel!

For more information on Tranquility see my post, Tahoe’s $100 Million Tranquility Estate – Part 2.

Tranquility Details:

8 Buildings:
* Main Residence (20,000+ sqft.)
* Guest Residence (5,000+ sqft.)
* Staff and Guest Residence (5,000+ sqft.)
* Gymnasium (4,000 sqft.)
* Art Studio (1,400 sqft.)
* Conservatory (pool)
* Stables
* Boat House Pavilion

210 Acres
16-Car Garage
19-Seat Theater
100-Foot Indoor Pool
2 Par 3 Golf Holes
3,200-Bottle Wine Cellar
Cigar Lounge styled after the one in New York’s St. Regis Hotel

Edit: Changes were made to reflect a price reduction.

Posted on April 9, 2008 at 10:25 am
Drew Kondo | Category: Tranquility Estate | Tagged , , , , , , , , , ,

17 responses to “Tahoe’s $75 Million Tranquility Estate”

1. Dave Nelson says:

$100 million and it isn’t even on Lake Tahoe. I’ll pass.

2. Bill Walton says:

Do the comps. even at the high end, the house is overpriced by 30 to 40 million.

3. Don says:

I was a helper for the granite company that worked there. I thought I’d add a couple of other cool things that stood out for me.
    1.The master bath is made completely out of white carrera marble. Floors,walls,crown molding, window sill, and shower. There is a jetted tub that was carved from two large chunks of marble.

2. Each door hinge cover is made from solid silver.

3. I’ve seen it mentioned that the property was completed in 2000. That’s innacurate. It was completed in 2001. We were still finishing up in the spring.

4. The brown trout grew so accustomed to hamburger helper and hostess products that when Horowitz would fish the lake, he couldnt catch anything with normal bait. We would eat on the dock and feed the trout.

5. The entire house has hydronic heating. We had to be extra careful of all the hoses when putting the marble floors down.

6. In the picture of the staircase, at the base of the stairs on the floor, there are little squares of blue marble. We were worried we wouldnt have enough to complete the job. There was none left in the world. We used it all.

7. I hated working here. It was SO cold all the time. It was hard hard work.

4. Gabor says:

When Feedell comes with his people this home is worthless.

5. MD says:

That home will be mine one day.

6. gwe says:

My husband and I LOVE Lake Tahoe, it is beautiful, I am sure this home is beautiful. Would I buy it if I had the money H–l, yes!

7. onermshack says:

Sometimes it is just fun to look at something so beautiful!

8. ronda b says:

I LOVE THIS HOME!!! my dream home!!!

9. Loren E says:

My favorite place in the whole world is Lake Tahoe. And my favorite movie is Titanic, combining them is pure genius.

10. Julian Meza says:

this is such a beutiful house my dream house<3

11. it is one my favorite homes in the world…it was ment for me

12. Patricia Heaton says:

What does this person do for a living?

13. admin says:

Joel Horowitz is the co-founder of the Tommy Hilfiger line of clothing.

14. AuspiticingAuxiliary says:

now all i need is money.

15. Gary loddesol says:

I had the pleasure of working on the stairs and railings in the house there we’re 5 staircases in the house very cool to be able to say i did part of that

16. SantaFeJack says:

Just watched this being toured by David Barthka on E. I’m a sucker for all the shows featuring estates like this, but this one is truly magnificent in every aspect. Some places are just enormous with the worst taste in furnishings and very suspect design (rooms so big and so numerous each room looks like a hotel banquet room. Tranquility is the finest I’ve ever seen in all respects. I’ve toured numerous European palaces, and places like the Newport “cottages” and Tranquility equals and often surpasses all of them.

17. Jacob Burcham says:

This is where im going to live one day